Young Guns V8
This is a beginner class
designed for 10 to 17 year olds and any women up to
age 65. If a driver's 18th birthday falls between
the start of points competition (first race in
April) and June 1, that driver will move up to a
higher division on their birthday. If a driver's
18th birthday falls between June 2 and end of points
competition (first weekend in October or last
scheduled YG V8 race), that driver will be allowed
to finish points competition for the season. The
track reserves the right to promote any driver up to
a higher division at any time without prior notice.
Any driver consistently 1/2 second faster than the
field will be promoted up. Any driver competing in a
higher division at another track that does not offer
Young Guns V8, will be promoted upon winning in
higher division or consistently finishing in Top 5.
If an entry fee/membership fee is paid to compete in
an association or series event in a higher division,
driver will be promoted to higher division
1. Car must weigh 3,200 pounds with driver after the
1. Visual protest only.
2. Cars must be neat in appearance.
3. No late model type noses or fender flares.
4. Must remain stock unless otherwise stated.
5. 1968 or newer American made car.
6. No station wagons, trucks, jeeps or convertibles.
7. No strut cars.
8. Rear of the car must be closed. No holes or
9. Car must have a deck lid.
10. May make front fenders, doors, and rear fenders.
Aluminum doors and fenders ok.
11. NO side spoilers.
12. Spoiler may not exceed 60" wide and no taller
than 6”. No spill plates, and no straps or spoiler
supports of any type allowed.
13. Cannot exceed 48" from ground to the top of the
14. May run any replacement roof, but must be a
minimum of 48" x 50". NO slant roofs.
15. 13" minimum door and rear glass opening. For
safety, MUST have 13" wide window opening on both
left and right side in case a driver needs to exit
in an emergency.
16. Interior may be boxed in.
17. Front and rear bumpers required. Rubber nose is
ok, but must be stock appearing. NO cow scoop.
18. Bumper cannot exceed past the quarter panel or
must run a bumper cover.
19. Breather must be boxed in on all 4 corners, and
cannot exceed 2" high. May NOT pull air from inside
20. Front inside wheel wells can be cut or removed
for clearance, but not excessive.
21. ALL firewall holes must be covered. Must have a
stock firewall in the original location, and the
firewall must extend to doors.
22. Must have a stock floor pan in the original
location. Floorpan must extend to the rear of the
driver's seat. Floorpan must go from frame rail to
23. May replace dash with sheet metal. Interior
metal must not be higher than dash.
24. Gutting hood and trunk are ok.
25. May use Lexan in rear side windows.
Wheelbase and Frame:
1. Frame must match make and model of car - 1" +/-
2. No shortening of frame. Must be stock. No x-ing
or cutting of frame.
3. Length between spring eyes must be stock.
4. Wheelbase must match make and model - 1"
5. Engine must remain in stock location. Aftermarket
1. NO traction control devices of ANY type allowed.
2. Suspension must be stock unless otherwise stated.
3. May run racing springs with adjustable buckets.
4. Adjustable or non-adjustable spring buckets ok.
5. Adjustable buckets in rear ok.
6. Top A-frame can be cut or move top mounting
7. No adjustable blocks - 4" of lowering blocks
8. Tube type A-arm on top only ok - non adjustable -
screw in ball joints on top ok. Ball joint must be
mounted on top of A-frame (no QA1) non rebuildable
(1/4 inch tolerance).
9. Can use heavy duty OEM steering and suspension
10. Leaf or coil springs can be changed to stronger
leaf or coil of the same type.
11. Cutting of coil spring allowed - rear shims on
coils are ok.
12. All mounting/hook up points on chassis must be
in stock location.
13. Top trailing arm may be cut for pinion angle
14. Leaf spring cars may adjust perches for pinion
15. May adjust rear shackles.
16. Aftermarket bushing in A-frames and trailing
arms ok but may not swivel.
1. Shocks must remain in stock location.
2. Front shocks must be in stock location. May move
3 inches max for travel, no angle change.
3. Rear shocks must be in stock location on top,
bottom mount can be moved.
4. No heim joints on any shocks.
5. Front - Bilstein AK1043 ONLY
Rear - Bilstein SSR1, AK1044
or AK1050 ONLY
Shock Protest - Driver can only protest shocks from
the car that finishes directly ahead of them. Only
cars finishing inside Top 5 may protest. Driver can
protest a maximum of two shocks, any combination of
front and rear.
Shock protest = $50 per shock, $25 acceptance fee
per shock. Track retains $25 per shock.
Shock Buy Rule - Front Shock $90 each - Rear Shock
Fan and Radiator:
1. Radiator must remain in stock location.
2. Aluminum radiator with fabricated brackets ok.
3. NO electric fans.
1. Headers are legal, but must exit parallel to the
2. NO tri-y headers. NO H-pipes, and NO X-pipes.
3. No turn down on pipes (straight only).
4. No merged collectors.
a. Any OEM stock size engine - 363 maximum - .060
over overbore maximum.
b. Repaired engine parts must be approved.
c. ARP Rod bolts OK, but must remain stock size -
d. One piece rear seal block ok.
e. No high performance engines or special order
f. Stock engine blocks only.
g. Must use stock replacement, low compression
piston. Cannot cut top of piston.
h. No flat top, 4 eyebrow piston - must be dished.
i. Speedpro H423 DCP or H423 NCP replacement piston
OK. No metric ring package.
j. Pistons must be at least .009" in block.
k. No bottoming of lifters.
l. Stock crankshaft.
m. No knife edging or lightening, etc.
n. Cast crank must weigh 48 lbs.
o. No stroke or destroke.
p. Journals may be turned no more than .060". Stock
replacement bearings only
q. Rod width may not be less than .940. No powder
rods. Stock replacement bearings ok.
r. Stock timing chain gear set or Cloyes C-3023X
adjustable timing chain. No offset key ways.
s. Balancer - 6 3/4 by 1" - no machining.
t. May run racing pulleys - NO serpentine pulleys.
V-belt racing pulleys ok.
u. Aluminum water pump allowed.
v. Aftermarket fuel pump & fuel rod ok.
w. Aftermarket power steering ok.
x. Two(2) piece timing covers ok.
y. No remote oil filter or evac systems.
a. Any open chamber heads ok, but must meet the
b. NO aftermarket heads.
c. May run stock replacement screw-in studs or pin
d. May run aftermarket valve cover.
e. Heads cannot be less than 72 cc.
f. No angle milling.
g. Stock or stock replacement valve for make and
model. Steel valves only. Stock stem diameter.
h. Valve springs can be Z28 springs.
i. Comp 742 retainers or stock allowed
j. No cutting under 45 - no competition valve job -
no 3 angle valve job.
k. Shims can be used under valve springs at a limit
of .060 per spring.
l. May use offset locks, but not with shims.
m. Rocker arms must be stock or stock replacement.
1.5 maximum. No self aligning rocker arms.
n. No porting or polishing.
o. No Vortec parts.
a. Stock, cast iron. No aluminum intakes.
b. No Holley pattern factory intakes.
c. Must have vacuum fitting behind carburetor.
a. Stock 2 or 4 barrel, conventional style only. No
super bowls or individual cylinder tuning.
b. No modifications except choke flap removal.
c. No removal of choke horn.
d. 600 Holley - part #1850 ok. Must be box stock
with Mr. Gasket adaptor part #1932. May use two(2)
.070 gaskets maximum.
e. No heat shields around carburetor. Dust shield
mounted to air filter base ok.
a. Stock timing chain or Cloyes C-3023X adjustable
b. .390-.410 lift
c. 112 lobe separation +/- 1 degree
d. Advancing or retarding the cam in car with
adjustable timing ok.
e. Cloyes C-3023X only - no cam buttons.
f. Stock cam or stock replacement cam only.
g. Duration for intake + 2 degrees / - 10 degrees.
h. .006 - 256 degrees
i. .050 - 195 degrees
j. .200 - 95 degrees
k. Duration for exhaust +2 degrees/ - 10 degrees
l. .006 - 261 degrees
m. .050 - 202 degrees
n. .200 - 106 degrees
o. Must have 18" vacuum at 1000 RPM
p. Hydraulic cam and lifters only.
q. Cams CS-274 sealed power and CCS-2 Melling and
Comp Cam 12-105-3 are a stock produced cam and will
be looked at with a little more variance. All custom
ground cams will be required to meet the above
1. Stock type ignition.
2. Stock type distributor only. No billet, no
circuit board distributor.
3. No high performance distributor or high
4. No altering firing order.
5. No boxes.
1. Must be stock with all working forward and
2. May run 350 or 400 turbo automatic with OEM
working torque converter, stock type and 11"
3. May run transmission cooler.
4. No power glides.
5. Aftermarket throw out bearing ok.
6. No lightning of gears.
7. Three(3) speed straight drive, cast iron
transmission with all working gears.
8. Straight drive transmission cars must have blow
proof bell housing or scatter shield - ⅛” steel.
Flywheel and Clutch Assembly:
a. Stock steel flywheel - 14 pounds minimum
b. Stock type clutch and pressure plate – minimum
10.5" (pressure plate 12 pound minimum).
c. May use hydraulic clutch.
1. Must be stock for the model of car or may run 2"
2. No carbon fiber and no aluminum drive shafts.
3. "U" or square type safety loop on front of drive
shaft assembly is required.
1. GM 10 or 12 bolt GM housing rear-end.
2. 9" Ford or 9” Ford floater ok. 9" Ford mounting
points must be stock type with NO adjustability. 4
1/2" maximum - 3 1/2" minimum from center of the
axle tube to center of trailing arm bolt. (ANY
ADDITIONAL HOLES MUST BE BLOCKED OFF).
3. Shocks have to be in stock location - may move
for travel only (3 inches maximum), no angle change.
4. May run aftermarket axles. No ball spline axles.
5. Any gear ratio allowed.
6. Locked or limited slip rear ends allowed.
7. Full spools ok (no scalloped).
8. No gun drilled axles.
9. No gun drilled rotors or scalloped rotors.
10. No lightning of any parts.
11. All components must be made of steel.
12. Disc brakes ok - doesn't have to match the model
13. Can cut top of trailing arms for pinion angle.
Fuel and Fuel Cell:
1. Fuel cell must be mounted securely inside the
trunk with a firewall between driver and fuel cell.
2. MUST run pump gas or track fuel. NO Nitrous.
Tires, Wheels, and Brakes:
1. 8" maximum wheels with .25" tolerance.
2. 14" or 15" - must be the same all the way around.
3. NO aluminum wheels.
4. NO DOT racing tires. Any 70, 75, or 78 series
street legal DOT series radial tires - NO
directional or competition tires.
5. 8" Towel City racing recap OK, must punch minimum
6.Tires subject to lab samples at independent lab
for softening or alteration. NO chemical treating or
conditioning of tires!
7. May run beadlocks, must be outward facing.
8. May run offset rims and wheel spacers.
9. Stock brakes and master cylinders. Must have 4
wheel working brakes after race.
10. OEM brake calipers only - NO aluminum.
11. Dual master cylinder ok - Adjusters ok.
Engine and Tire Protest
Bottom End - $500. Acceptance fee $150. Track
Protest Any 2 Items - $300. Acceptance fee $100.
Track retains $100
Cam Protest - $300. Acceptance fee $100. Track
Transmission Protest - $250. Acceptance fee - $100.
Track retains $100
Refusal to tear down three (3) times during the
season will result in driver being disqualified from
competing in the division for the remainder of the
Tire Protest - $125. Acceptance fee - $125. Track